Another one from the archives today. Except I've modified it a little to make it just a tiny bit more healthy and easier for prep. If you've been following my posts for a while you will know that both mushrooms and cheese are on my favorites list. I often cook with them and when I go out to eat I usually choose something with mushrooms in it- I like portabella, shitake, regular white- all of them! These can be made with all sorts of fillings though so if you don't like mushrooms there's nothing to worry about. You can add broccoli, spinach, any sorts of cheeses etc. You can also use whole wheat wraps if you prefer an even healthier option Whatever you do it is sure to be tasty!
Instead of frying the tortillas like I normally would, I put them in my handy grilled cheese maker which kept them a bit healthier and took off a nice amount of the prep time which is always a good thing when I have alot to accomplish and not too much time. These would make a fantastic breakfast or lunch and I actually made these for dinner alongside a creamy corn soup and lemon Parmesan risotto. Here's the recipe:
1 Package Large Fresh White Mushrooms
1 Large Red Onion
1 Tsp. Fresh Chopped Garlic or Garlic Powder
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar & Mozzarella Mix
1/8 Cup Vegetable Oil For Sauteing Veggies
1 Package Tortilla Wraps
1. Start by chopping off the stems of all of the mushrooms and then clean them thoroughly. Then chop them into small-medium sized pieces. Then chop up red onion. Put the vegetable oil in a medium sized non-stick sauté pan. Heat up the oil and drop in the mushrooms, onions, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper.
2. Saute' the vegetables until slightly browned and cooked through.
3. Sprinkle a handful of cheese onto one half of a tortilla. Remove a couple of tablespoons of the mushroom mixture from the saute pan with a slotted spoon and place it on top of the cheese that has already been put down. Sprinkle a little more cheese over top of the mushroom mixture. and
4. Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the half with the mushrooms and cheese. Press down firmly to fold.
5. Take the prepared tortilla carefully and place it in a grilled cheese sandwich maker lined with parchment paper or a frying pan with some oil. Allow it to brown on both sides before removing them to a plate.
6. Allow them to cool a little and cut in half for that wedge appearance. Serve warm.
Thanks for stopping in! Have a lovely day!